Tuesday 19 March 2013

Band of the Week - Gojira

It may not come as a surprise that the week I'm seeing them live, they are one of my most listened to. Gojira is a French progressive death metal band, which is as heavy as it gets. They take the word "heavy" to a new level. They have a unique technical skill that I've never seen before. I will even go as far to say they've created a musical style many other bands crave to understand and wish they could use themselves. Some bands use Gojira as an inspiration to their own music, which is fine, but they will never quite get to where "Godzilla" is today.

The emphasis might be on the heavy riffs Gojira creates, but one must not forget the beautiful melodic parts they include in most of their songs. Take for instance the song "The Gift of Guilt" from their newest album "L'Enfant Sauvage". The opening riff is amazing, loaded with feeling. It echoes throughout the whole song, and I can't help but think what went through their heads as they wrote this song. It makes me think of longing for something, and the desperation you might feel from this. As the title suggests, the song is about guilt. I can picture this music ringing in my ears whenever I feel gulty. It is a feeling I believe many of their listeners will have found in themselves at one point in their life. Incredible that a band can recreate a feeling like that, just by playing their instruments.
L'Enfant Sauvage. Picture taken of the head used on stage on the Jägermeister Music Tour.
 "Esoteric Surgery"(The Way of All Flesh). Need I say more? Try listening to this song and tell me you don't love this band. The drums are so powerful and awesome. Some drummers will have a thing or two to learn from this guy(Mario Duplantier). He knows drums! Yes, the rest of the song is mind blowing as well, but had it not been for this perfectly created piece of percussion, this song would've been nothing. This song always gives me a big lump in my throat, which I struggle to swallow. You know that lump that makes it impossible to speak, that makes  you want to cry or scream. But all you can do is sit still, listen to the music, and take it all in.

Speaking of heavy. VACUITY. This song is on the same album as Esoteric Surgery, and I believe these songs compliment each other. On one hand you have the faster song, where the focus lays on the drums. On the other hand you have this slow, heavy piece. I can't help but to nod my head to this track, and when seeing this song live, I woulcn't be able to hold back the rage it creates inside me.

I could continue writing about their other songs as well. For example how insanely awesome "From the Sky" (From Mars to Sirius) is, but unfortunately this entry would end up being way to long. If you have never listenend to Gojira before, check out the songs I have mentioned here. If you are an experienced Gojira listener, please leave a comment with your favourite songs and let me know what you believe makes those songs awesome.

Here's a full concert from Graspop Metal Meeting 2012. Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw4BH6UFaCw



No comments:

Post a Comment