Sunday 10 March 2013

Band of the week - The 69 Eyes

I remember when I first started listening to The 69 Eyes. It must have been about six or seven years ago. My sister sort of indirectly introduced me to them. She used to listen to them all the time, but at first I thought it was two different bands... Let me explain.

The older 69 Eyes sounds completely different to the newer 69 Eyes. So when listening to it in the background without knowing who they are, you don't realise that all the songs are made by the same people. Over time, 69 Eyes has changed a lot. It started out as glam rock, where as today it is a lot more gothic than glam. I remember listening to songs like Juicy Lucy(Bump N' Grind), Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams(title track) and Feel Berlin(Devils). If you know the band, you'll automatically know that these three songs are completely different to each other. The vocals change and their whole musical style changes.

The 69 Eyes is a strange band. I know bands that have changed a bit over time, and there's nothing wrong with that. It means that the band is evolving. You don't want to keep doing the same old thing over and over again. But I have never seen a band change as much as The 69 Eyes.

I really enjoy most of the bands work, but lately I've been in to their older stuff. I've been listening a lot to their three first albums Bump N' Grind, Motor City Resurrection(technically this album has many of the songs from the previous album) and Savage Garden.

I'll write this today, even though it might change tomorrow...my favourite 69 Eyes song is Juicy Lucy. I can't explain it in any other way than: it's ROCK N' ROLL! Juicy Lucy has an awesome beat, catchy lyrics and cool guitar riffs(and I do love the guitar solo). The piano parts lifts the song to a different level. Perhaps it's not the most complicated song ever, but it doesn't need to be. Juicy Lucy is leather and sun glasses, it is layered hair cuts and ripped jeans. It's old school (for 2013 anyway).



Check out Juicy Lucy on Spotify or Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment