Monday 25 March 2013

Anders Fridén - 24 Years of Awesome Music

As a tribute to Anders Fridén's 40th birthday today, I thought I write a bit about him and what he's been doing. First of all, happy birthday Anders. It must be amazing to think about that you've been creating mind blowing music for over half your life?

Anders has been active within the music industry since 1989. He started out as the vocalist for Dark Tranquillity (based in Gothenburg). You can hear him on the first album Skydancer. Check out the song "Crimson Winds". This is how the earliest melodic death sounded like. Incredible how it started! (You could say it started with three bands: At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. They are the source of melodic death metal, or Gothenburg metal as it is also called). Fridén joined In Flames soon after he left Dark Tranquillity, which is the band he is most famous for. His first appearence was on In Flames' second album The Jester Race. Have a listen to the title track, it is amazing! The sound on this album had in many ways changed since the first album Lunar Strain, but they still stayed true to the Gothenburg sound!

After this, the band went along to become one of the most successful metal bands in Sweden's history. Metal fans all over the world wanted to buy their music and see them perform live. In 2001 their only live album "Tokyo Showdown" came out. It was a sensation, becuase not only had they recorded their first ever live album, but it was also recorded in Japan! People all over the world could now experience the live magic In Flames created, back home in their own living room(or wherever you may choose to listen to In Flames).

Anders is a really great live act. He knows his audience well, and has a relationship with his fans like no other artist. When you see In Flames live, it is difficult not feel like you're getting a special bond with him! He speaks to you through his lyrics! But you also connect with him when he talks to you either in person on between songs on stage (at least that's the way I feel). 

Anders Fridén live on stage!

The first song I ever heard of In Flames was "Trigger". I remember thinking that this music was something I'd never heard before. Not long after, I was hooked. I started buying their albums and checking out everything from Lunar Strain to their newer albums (at that time the newest album was Come Clarity). In Flames was my favourite band in the whole world. And they still are one of my favourites! Whenever I listen to "Trigger", it brings me back to that first time I listened to it! I love that song!

I know there's been some discussion about their albums after Come Clarity (A Sense of Purpose and Sounds of a Playground Fading). But honestly, I don't really care. Their new music will never change how I feel about their old music. And also, what is a band if they never change and never develop? On that note, I will end this post. Make sure you check out In Flames and Dark Tranquillity (and his other prjoect Passenger).

Me with Anders Fridén and Daniel Svensson. (November 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment