Saturday 9 March 2013

Agonyst

Here's another band I found in my followers on Twitter. I thought I'd give them a listen.

The band is called Agonyst. They are a progressive death metal band from Norwich, UK. The band consists of four members; Louis Coates on lead guitar/vocals, David Perrin on guitar/vocals, Zac O'Neil on drums and Nathan Weanie on bass. 

When I first started listening to "Omni" ,the first song of their debut album "Centennial", my initial thought was the band is definitely inspired by Mikael Åkerfeldts(Opeth) clean vs. growl vocal. But that is what makes the music more interesting; being able to hear their inspirations, while they're still being able to do something new. Being inspired by others is definitely not a negative thing. It is what all musicians have done and one point or another.

When getting further into the track, I soon realise that this is not like Opeth at all. It is clever, like Opeth, but in a different way. The songs in general seem to be well composed. Some bands can be very repetitive and you can often tell where the song is going to go next. That is not the case with this band. All the songs are all very different to each other, and it is extremly difficult to predict what is going to happen next.

What you have to remember when listening to a progressive band is that patience is key. Long songs will have to be appreciated, but if you're the sort of person who cannot handle long songs, this band isn't for you. However if you appreciate the exploration of music that progressive bands do, this will probably be right up your street.

My impression of people making progressive music is that they are extremly clever (musically clever, anyway). But because I don't know the people in this band, I don't know if that is the case here as well. What I do know, however, is that mastering progressive music is not something you can just do without having any experience. It's technically challenging, and not everyone is cut out for making such music.

You should definitely check out their music on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment